Here’s a quick film quiz to play with your office, friends or family over the festive period. No prizes – it’s free just for fun!
Answers will be revealed in a separate post.
ROUND ONE – BLOCKBUSTERS
1. What plot device was the excuse for Ant-Man not being involved in the story for Avengers: Infinity War?
2. Prior to the release of Mary Poppins Returns in December, which three musicals were the three highest-grossing of the year in the UK?
3. In 2018, the Marvel Cinematic Universe became the first film franchise to release six $1 billion dollar films in the same series. Name all six.
4. How many years were there between the release of the Incredibles and the release of its sequel?
5. Which May sci-fi blockbuster was described by A. O. Scott as “a curiously low-stakes blockbuster, in effect a filmed Wikipedia page”?
6. In which fictional US town is the original Halloween set, along with the 2018 sequel?
7. Michael Jackson’s Thriller was released in IMAX 3D alongside which Jack Black film released in September?
8. How did Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively’s characters meet in A Simple Favor?
9. Who voiced Peter Rabbit in the big-screen adaptation, released in February?
10. Which Spielberg film featured references to Jurassic Park, Big Trouble In Little China, Back to the Future, Robocop and umpteen million other pop culture touchpoint?
ROUND TWO – AWARDS, FESTIVALS AND CRITICS’ CHOICE
1. In which US state was the Sundance Film Festival held in January 2018?
2. Which film won this year’s Oscar for Best Film?
3. And who won Best Director?
4. Name the event, sponsored by The National Lottery, that took place in independent cinemas across the UK on 30th September 2018.
5. Which musical act connects the films Phantom Thread and Suspiria?
6. In which country was Pixar’s Coco set?
7. Which directors were responsible for the film The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, which was released on Netflix in November 2018?
8. Which comedian has pulled out of presenting the Oscars in 2019 after some controversies over Tweets posted several years ago?
9. Which actor links Call Me By Your Name and Lady Bird?
10. What was the name of the black police officer who joined the Ku Klux Klan in the film BlacKkKlansmann?
ROUND THREE – MUSIC ROUND
Name the film based on the song lyrics. The films may have been released in late 2017 in some regions.
1. I learned to be ashamed of all my scars. “Run away,” they say, “No-one will love you as you are.”
2. Now is the time, here is the place, this Slaughterrace!
3. Cos you’re bringing me back to life, I was looking for something that I couldn’t find.
4. I sing this secret song to you each night we are apart.
5. Surly Joe, Surly Joe, where the heck his face has got to we don’t know.
6. Love of my life you’ve hurt me. You’ve broken my heart and now you leave me.
7. I’m off the deep end, watch as I dive in, I’ll never meet the ground.
8. You can stamp and scream out loud or you can trip a little light fantastic with me
9. This is a waltz, thinking about our bodies, what they mean for our salvation.
10. Your heart is what it is. You stood in the hallway staring back.
ROUND FOUR – NETFLIX OR NOTFLIX
Can you identify which of the following Christmas films are real Netflix releases and which ones are made up?
1. A Christmas Moose Miracle
2. We Wish You A Metal Christmas
3. Driving Gnome For Christmas
4. A Christmas Prince
5. The Christmas Chronicles
6. The Mayor of Christmas
7. Christmas Inheritance
8. The Christmas Woodpecker
9. The Holiday Calendar
10. Christmas Wedding Planner