ROUND ONE – NAME THE BEST FILM WINNER FROM THE DESCRIPTION
1. George VI overcomes a stutter.
2. Tony Lip escorts Don Shirley on a tour of southern USA.
3. The CIA use a fake sci-fi flick to rescue Americans from Tehran.
4. Elisa falls in love with The Amphibian Man.
5. Solomon Northup is conned and sold into slavery.
6. Three key stages of Chiron’s life are explored: youth, adolescence and early adult life.
7. A team at The Boston Globe investigate widespread child abuse by Roman Catholic priests.
8. Riggan Thomson attempts to write, direct and star in a new Broadway play.
9. An older silent film star falls in love with a young actress as she rises to the top of the changing film industry.
10. An Iraq War Explosive Ordnance Disposal team are targeted by insurgents.
ROUND TWO – GENERAL KNOWLEDGE
1. Name all six films that have won Best Animated Film at the Oscars that were not created by Pixar or Disney. (six points available)
2. What was unusual about the joint nominees for Best Adapted Screenplay for the 2002 film Adaptation?
3. Name the last five different presenters of the Academy Awards ceremony. (five points available)
4. Parasite follows in Roma’s footsteps as a foreign-language film nominated for Best Picture. Prior to Roma, what was the last film to achieve this?
5. Which film was the first to win Best Picture, at the first ceremony in 1928
6. How many of Quentin Tarantino’s films have been nominated for the Best Film Oscar?
7. What name did John Travolta use when he introduced Idina Menzel to sing at the 2014 Academy Awards?
8. Sasheen Littlefeather collected the Oscar for which Best Supporting Actor winner at the 1973 ceremony? Which film was the win for? (2 points available)
9. Who is the only person to win an Academy Award for acting and writing?
10. The 1998 ceremony had the highest ever viewing figures, as Titanic swept the board. How many live viewers were recorded in the USA that year? 27m, 57m 87m or 93m?
ROUND THREE – HAIKU FILM REVIEW
A firm favourite on this website is the haiku film review. The 100th will be posted tomorrow! To celebrate, this round includes ten recent haiku film reviews I’ve posted here. All you have to do is name the nominated film from this year’s ceremony based on the haiku.
Can the magic stones
Be used to reverse The Snap?
Thanos knows… wait! THOR!
Through some flashbacks and meet ups,
Recalls life events
Lazy, spoiled Jesper.
He’s been sent to Smeerensburg
To post some letters.
Makes musical biopic
JJ’s tweaked vision
For episodes eight and nine
Crammed into one film
Nicole and Charlie
Go through a horrid divorce.
It’s all pretty sad.
Greta’s fresh new take
On Alcott’s classic story
Proves its timelessness.
Jojo has a friend.
An imaginary friend.
Whose name is Adolf.
Stand-up party clown
Goes full-on Travis Bickle
Incites a riot
Robert, Al and Joe
Get weird CGI faces
For mobster epic