ROUND ONE – BLOCKBUSTERS
1. What plot device was the excuse for Ant-Man not being involved in the story for Avengers: Infinity War?
– He was under house arrest.
2. Prior to the release of Mary Poppins Returns in December, which three musicals were the three highest-grossing of the year in the UK?
– Mamma Mia 2: Here We Go Again, Bohemian Rhapsody and A Star Is Born
3. In 2018, the Marvel Cinematic Universe became the first film franchise to release six $1 billion dollar films in the same series. Name all six.
– The Avengers, Iron Man 3, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Captain America: Civil War, Black Panther, Avengers: Infinity War
4. How many years were there between the release of the Incredibles and the release of its sequel?
– 14 (2004 to 2018)
5. Which May sci-fi blockbuster was described by A. O. Scott as “a curiously low-stakes blockbuster, in effect a filmed Wikipedia page”?
– Solo: A Star Wars Story
6. In which fictional US town is the original Halloween set, along with the 2018 sequel?
7. Michael Jackson’s Thriller was released in IMAX 3D alongside which Jack Black film released in September?
– The House With A Clocks In Its Walls
8. How did Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively’s characters meet in A Simple Favor?
– Their children were schoolfriends (and Anna’s character Stephanie babysat for Blake’s character Emily)
9. Who voiced Peter Rabbit in the big-screen adaptation, released in February?
– James Corden
10. Which Spielberg film featured references to Jurassic Park, Big Trouble In Little China, Back to the Future, Robocop and umpteen million other pop culture touchpoint?
– Ready Player One
ROUND TWO – AWARDS, FESTIVALS AND CRITICS’ CHOICE
1. In which US state was the Sundance Film Festival held in January 2018?
2. Which film won this year’s Oscar for Best Film?
– The Shape of Water
3. And who won Best Director?
– Guillermo Del Toro (for The Shape of Water)
4. Name the event, sponsored by The National Lottery, that took place in independent cinemas across the UK on 30th September 2018.
– Free Cinema Day (or any variation on that name).
5. Which musical act connects the films Phantom Thread and Suspiria?
– Radiohead (Jonny Greenwood and Thom Yorke did the scores for the respective films).
6. In which country was Pixar’s Coco set?
7. Which directors were responsible for the film The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, which was released on Netflix in November 2018?
– The Coen Brothers
8. Which comedian has pulled out of presenting the Oscars in 2019 after some controversies over Tweets posted several years ago?
– Kevin Hart
9. Which actor links Call Me By Your Name and Lady Bird?
– Timotheé Chalamet
10. What was the name of the black police officer who joined the Ku Klux Klan in the film BlacKkKlansmann?
– Ron Stallworth
ROUND THREE – MUSIC ROUND
1. I learned to be ashamed of all my scars. “Run away,” they say, “No-one will love you as you are.”
– The Greatest Showman (This Is Me)
2. Now is the time, here is the place, this Slaughterrace!
– Wreck It Ralph 2: Ralph Breaks The Internet (This Place Called Slaughterrace)
3. Cos you’re bringing me back to life, I was looking for something that I couldn’t find.
– Bumblebee (Back To Life)
4. I sing this secret song to you each night we are apart.
– Coco (Remember Me)
5. Surly Joe, Surly Joe, where the heck his face has got to we don’t know.
– The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (Surly Joe)
6. Love of my life you’ve hurt me. You’ve broken my heart and now you leave me.
– Bohemian Rhapsody (Love Of My Life)
7. I’m off the deep end, watch as I dive in, I’ll never meet the ground.
– A Star Is Born (Shallow)
8. You can stamp and scream out loud or you can trip a little light fantastic with me.
– Mary Poppins Returns (Trip A Little Light Fantastic)
9. This is a waltz, thinking about our bodies, what they mean for our salvation.
– Suspiria (Suspirium)
10. Your heart is what it is. You stood in the hallway staring back.
– Hearts Beat Loud (Hearts Beat Loud Pt. 1)
ROUND FOUR – NETFLIX OR NOTFLIX
1. A Christmas Moose Miracle – NETFLIX
2. We Wish You A Metal Christmas – NETFLIX
3. Driving Gnome For Christmas – NOTFLIX
4. A Christmas Prince – NETFLIX
5. The Christmas Chronicles – NETFLIX
6. The Mayor of Christmas – NOTFLIX
7. Christmas Inheritance – NETFLIX
8. The Christmas Woodpecker – NOTFLIX
9. The Holiday Calendar – NETFLIX
10. Christmas Wedding Planner – NETFLIX